Monday, May 25, 2009

New Beginnings

And so it begins... a new day, a new chapter, a world of new opportunities.

A new beginning.

Today is the start of something truly incredible, and I'm so happy you've decided to join me on my journey.

10 days ago, my world was flipped on it's side. The phone call came as I sipped my morning coffee. Just moments after I declared to my friend, RJ, that Teach for America looked like an amazing opportunity, and a real chance to make a difference in our country, and our nation’s future, in fact. I was looking at their website so I could better explain the program to a friend of ours who has aspirations of becoming a teacher, but would be at least a couple of years away from doing so, unless he were to join a program like Teach for America.

And then it happened, my boss called me up. His tone, though positive at first, quickly turned quiet. A brief pause, and then…

Recession.

Terrible economy.

I hate to have to do this.

I like you.

I think you’ve done a great job, but.

I have to lay you off.

Any recommendation I can provide, I will.

Of course at this point, I am convinced all the blood in my body rushed straight to my ears. I could not hear much else that was said. Just the thumping sound, and the heat, as it flowed into my ears, and then the chill, as the blood all ran straight out of my head. No wonder, they always ask “are you sitting down?”

First I was upset. I couldn’t understand how outstanding performance review could ever find it’s way into the same sentence as cut-backs. Then I was a little panicked. How would I be able to make rent, my car payment, continue to eat, and still afford designer sunglasses? Then I was sad. I loved my job. Enjoyed almost all of my customers, and even liked my co-workers a lot, too. Heck, I’ve been surrounded by a lot of the same people for almost 5 years now. Clients had become friends, and over time I had become pretty knowledgeable, and gotten good at what I did.

So now what? Of course, my initial reaction was to summon the force of the Trojan Network, and find out which USC alums had a position available for me. Then I considered tapping into my old customer base for a job. Ultimately, I made 4 phone calls which I am convinced, will forever change the course of my future… and potentially yours, if you’ve read this far.

I called my best friend, Jeannine. I called my neighbor, Shawn. I called a recruiter I once worked with. And I called my brother, John. The advice and ideas hatched in each of these phone calls (combined with the teachings enjoyed over the course of the last few books I have read) planted little seeds that only needed a few days to germinate before smacking me over the head with a plan.

There are a few things I know, with unmistakable certainty to be true of myself:

I am honest.

I am loyal.

I am creative.

I am logical.

I am practical.

I bring positive energy to those around me.

I thrive on making a measurable difference.

I love to give.

I am addicted to Los Angeles… and coffee.

I am bound for great things.

I will succeed.

Though I went to school for, and earned a business degree, I never wanted to have my own company. The "stability" of working for someone else always sounded far safer. I never minded making money for other people, as long as I was compensated fairly for my efforts. It was all pretty easy, and don’t forget, I was good at my job. I was comfortable, and happy, and probably would have stayed in that easy place for quite some time if I had not been forced to move along.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -FDR

Fear is crippling. Fear keeps you in the "safe" zone, and limits your potential. Fear is your enemy. I used to think that a healthy dose of fear was necessary, but I have come to realize that fear is not what you need, it's respect. The beauty of respect is that, unlike fear, respect can give back and remain in balance. Consider the ocean. If you are afraid of the ocean, you may never go in the water. Or if you do venture in, you might be paralyzed with anxiety, which clouds your thinking and judgment, which then puts you at risk. Whereas if you respect the ocean, you understand the tides, and the waves, and in all likelihood know enough not to try body-surfing at a break like Pipeline (for those of you who don't know, think massive pummeling waves, breaking over a shallow razor-sharp reef). You wouldn't want to body-surf there at all, and chances are, unless you're either insane, or a professional you wouldn't even consider trying to get out there on a board either.

Pro surfers like Kelly Slater and Andy Irons understand big waves, and I guarantee you the word respect is always in the forefront of their minds. Nearly 18 years ago, a young (but already hugely successful - 4 time U.S. Amateur Surfing Champ) 19 year old Kelly made his stance known in People Magazine. "You've got to respect the ocean, and you can't think you can beat Mother Nature," he says. "Or for that matter, mother." Smart, and funny too, no wonder this guy is such a huge success.

When I tell someone that Maria Sharapova is my favorite professional tennis player, I know their first reaction is to believe that I love her because she is incredibly successful and beautiful. But when I go on to explain what draws me to her actually has nothing to do with her tennis or good looks, you can imagine the looks of incredulity that I receive.

It's not that Maria won Wimbledon at the age of 17 that impressed me. Martina Hingis actually won at age 16, and that really didn’t wow me at all. It’s the way that Sharapova played that fateful tournament in 2004: fearless, all-guns-blazing, dominating, and intelligent. She entered Wimbledon a long shot, and 2 weeks later emerged a champion, and my personal hero. She did so by remaining calm in pressure situations, and serving every ball (first or second serve), and pounding every groundstroke like it was her last on earth. As the fortnight waned, and the field thinned out, Maria’s confidence only grew. She had 2 choices; draw on the strength and successes of the matches before, or get bogged down in considering all she had at stake. Maria chose the former, and never looked back. In the final, Sharapova dominated the reigning champion, Serena Williams by a score of 6-1, 6-4.

I’m certainly not the only one who took notice of Maria’s gift. "At 17, to have that ability already, it's pretty amazing," said Andy Roddick. Even moreso than her natural skill, Andy could see the promise in her attitude, "it's almost like she expects it.” And, that confidence, I believe, is what it’s all about.

So it is in the spirit of that 17 year old that I embark upon this new journey. I invite you to read along, and follow my progress as I start my own business, and experience the growing pains only felt when immediate and overnight success are achieved. :) Watch as I tackle the obstacles which people will try to throw in my path. And please make no mistake, this is one freight train that’s never turning back. You're either on board, or you might get run over. Oh, and please feel free to add fuel to the fire!

Why do I tell you all this? Because I want you to know who I am, how I think, who I look up to, and what I believe. If I can get you that far, you might just begin to trust me… and potentially yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment