Thursday, September 15, 2011

Open. The Andre Agassi Autobiography.

Upon my mom's recommendation last week, I went to the library and picked up a copy of Andre Agassi's autobiography, Open. Of course, you know how I love Maria Sharapova. But Andre, he was truly my first tennis hero. There are countless reasons that I've felt connected to Agassi over the years. I loved him equally when he was a "rebel" as well as when he cut off that famous mane that seemingly defined him for years, and really turned up the intensity on his tennis career. More on this to come. Before the story begins, Open includes a profound quote that just struck me hard. Right in the gut.

“One cannot tell what it is that keeps us in, confines us, seems to bury us, but still one feels certain barriers, certain gates, certain walls. Is all this imagination, fantasy? I do not think so. And then one asks: My God! Is it for long, is it for ever, is it for eternity? Do you know what frees one from this captivity? It is very deep serious affection. Being friends, being brothers, love, that is what opens the prison by supreme power, by some magic force.”
-Vincent van Gogh, letter to his brother, July 1880

So far I'm only a chapter in. Kinda in the middle of about 3 other books at the moment, too. But I'm enjoying it so far. So incredibly easy to relate to. That's probably the tennis player in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment